When going to a wedding, not everything is appropriate! There are some rules to respect, even if it is the perfect occasion to slip in a gorgeous dress and style your hair. In this article, I tell you all about mastering wedding fashion and give you some style advice, weather you have a big or small budget!
What codes do you need to respect in wedding fashion?
- First rule (and most important one)…Forget white of course! Leave this color to the bride and don’t steal her spotlight wearing a white dress.
- Also, forget black, even if it is true that the color is more beginning to be more frequently accepted at weddings. Unless the theme imposes it, it’s best you steer clear of this color. There are so many pretty colors you can wear, it is the occasion to bring some joy in your wardrobe with a pepsy color!
- Avoid being too sexy. You’re not here to attract stares!
- If you’re going to the church ceremony, you’ll need to cover your shoulders and knees. Plan to have a little vest or scarf to cover up during the ceremony. (I don’t know the rules for other religions, so don’t hesitate to tell me about them in the comments!)
- You are not obliged to wear a hat anymore. Ask the bridal pair if they demand it or not, though. You can replace a hat by an accessorized hairstyle like a headband or pearls to opt for a more modern look.
Other advice to master wedding fashion
- Ask ahead about the location of the wedding. Knowing the specifics will make it easier to choose a comfortable outfit for the situation.
- Choose light, easy to wear and comfortable fabrics for day and night. Weddings are often long, you’ll need to feel comfortable in your outfit. If you are too tight in your dress or too high on your heels, you’ll soon regret it.
- Muslin, satin, tulle, lace and even linen are the best fabrics for weddings, instead of denim for instance, which is less elegant.
- Find the right balance between over doing it and under dressing it. Try to be classy and elegant, in all subtlety. For this, I’ve put together a selection of dresses (further in the article) at all prices and style to choose wisely.
Wedding fashion on a budget
- If you don’t want to buy a dress that you’ll only wear once, take a basic piece out of your wardrobe and play with accessories with bigger pieces (that you can find at affordable prices) like a big corset belt, stone necklace, sophisticated hairstyle, nice headband…
- You can always opt for dress renting. For instance “Coucou” in Brussels rents out evening gowns for specific occasions.
- Also check out my selection of dresses at mini-prices. For 30€ you can find a basic dress that you can wear again in everyday looks.